The Grim Darkness standard game format. Or at least we've run this at a few tournaments and friendly games since. This is all an attempt to keep the games balanced and fun.
Only applies to tournament/games days
- 1,750pts armies
- Battle Forged armies, only. No Unbound lists.
- Formation based detachments (e.g. Necron Decurion, Space Marine Gladius Strike Force, etc) are allowed but you do not gain the benefits of fielding this style detachment.
- Combined arms based detachment (CAD) or respective army based detachment (e.g. Grey Knights Nemesis Strike Force) are allowed and you do gain the benefits of fielding this style of detachment.
- The allied detachment is not allowed.
- All forces must be comprised from a single high level faction (e.g. Space Marines, Astra Militarum, Imperial Knights etc are all Imperial).
- All forces must be comprised of no more than two sources (e.g. Space Marines with an Imperial Knight).
- On Games Days players have a maximum of 400 points that they may spend on Lords of War.
- For friendly games players may take as many Lords of War as they like but be fair and warn your opponent, only a fool goes into battle with no intel!
- If one player has a Super Heavy/Gargantuan LoW and the other does not, the player without can roll on the Escalation Warlord Table and gains +1 to Seize the Initiative.
- For every 3 Hull Points/Wounds dealt to a Super Heavy/Gargantuan Creature LoW, the player dealing the damage earns a bonus maelstrom point.
- Each game will consist of three missions; A Primary, Secondary and Tertiary, which will be scored as follows:
1) Primary Mission: Crusade 14vp (Eternal War Mission)
2) Secondary Mission: Deadlock 8vp (Maelstrom Mission)
3) Tertiary Mission: Slay the Warlord, Linebreaker & First Strike 6vp
- In the case of a draw on any of the missions, both players will get half the points for that mission.
- When drawing your maelstrom cards, if there is absolutely zero possibility of achieving the objective, (for example, “kill an enemy psyker” but your opponent has none in their army list) you may immediately discard it and draw a new card. That being said, if there is even the slightest remote possibility of achieving the mission, regardless of how slim or ludicrous it may be, then you must accept the card.
- All maelstrom cards that are worth D3 points are automatically worth 2, and cards worth D6 are worth 3.
- On Games Days all games will be played using the Dawn of War deployment.
- No mysterious objectives, they're an utter ball ache to remember.
- First blood will be replaced with “First Strike”. You gain a point if you managed to kill a unit on your first turn